Home » Fusion Middleware & Colab Suite » Weblogic & Application Server » Weblogic migration
Weblogic migration [message #687580] Sat, 08 April 2023 02:51 Go to next message
madurani
Hello All,

I need to migrate vm linux server from OVM to KVM. For migration I use ReaR toll. After migration there are same: os version, ip-address hostname, users, all(it is clone of old server) on new server. Problem is, that on server there is installed Weblogic, which does not start after migration .
OS part of migration works fine, but application part doesn't. Ror migration of application, I tried to use backuppc,networker and Rear. No matter what I try , the result is same. Weblogic does not start.
Can you please advise me some "how to" on how I can copy/migrate weblogic from old server to new? I don't known this application, but i need to migrate these servers.

Re: Weblogic migration [message #687582 is a reply to message #687580] Sat, 08 April 2023 03:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Quote:
Can you please advise me some "how to" on how I can copy/migrate weblogic from old server to new?
You could use a supported technique rather than trying to invent your own. For example,
https://blogs.oracle.com/scoter/post/virt-v2v-in-action-migrate-virtual-machine-from-oracle-vm-to-oracle-linux-kvm
https://blogs.oracle.com/scoter/post/how-to-migrate-oracle-vm-to-oracle-linux-kvm
Re: Weblogic migration [message #687583 is a reply to message #687582] Sat, 08 April 2023 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
madurani
John Watson wrote on Sat, 08 April 2023 03:23
Quote:
Can you please advise me some "how to" on how I can copy/migrate weblogic from old server to new?
You could use a supported technique rather than trying to invent your own. For example,
https://blogs.oracle.com/scoter/post/virt-v2v-in-action-migrate-virtual-machine-from-oracle-vm-to-oracle-linux-kvm
https://blogs.oracle.com/scoter/post/how-to-migrate-oracle-vm-to-oracle-linux-kvm
This "How to" looks fine, but I am not sure whether I can use it in live environment on both sides, where lot of other servers are running.
Re: Weblogic migration [message #687588 is a reply to message #687583] Mon, 10 April 2023 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
madurani
How can I backup Weblogic? Because via tools BackupPC or Networker, the data from backup are not usable.
I tried to clone one VM on OVM, and I deleted the volume where WebLogic was installed , and then I restored it back via both mentioned tools. In both cases it wasn't possible to start application weblogic after FS restore. What is so special in this application, that it isn't possible to backup/restore it or copy it to other VM?
We migrated a lot of servers via ReaR toll with lot different application as MySQL, Docker, Apache, Jenkins, Jboss, OracleDB and many others and there weren't any migration issues. problem is only with Weblogic.

[Updated on: Mon, 10 April 2023 07:32]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Weblogic migration [message #687589 is a reply to message #687588] Mon, 10 April 2023 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
Generally speaking, you can't just copy the Middleware Home and expect it to work. You are meant to use the supported tool, the cloningclient.jar utility that you will find in $MW_HOME/oracle_common/jlib

Trying to do it manually will be a nightmare task. For example, do you know how to reconfigure the wallets? Or the repository database schemas?
Re: Weblogic migration [message #687590 is a reply to message #687589] Mon, 10 April 2023 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
madurani
You are right, I agree. I have been trying to do it for 2 weeks, it is a nightmare and I don't have any progress. Could You please advise me with use of command cloningclient.jar? as I wrote I haven't got any experience/knowledge with WebLogic. I have two same servers (same hostname, ip, os, user and all) and I need to move/copy Weblogic from old server to new server.
Re: Weblogic migration [message #687594 is a reply to message #687590] Mon, 10 April 2023 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
It's all in the docs. Usually I wouldn't waste time searching the docs for you, but perhaps you do not know where they are. This is the detail for cloning an FMW environment,
https://docs.oracle.com/middleware/12212/lcm/ASADM/GUID-E1986997-3BC2-411E-8EE4-12B2B769D016.htm#ASADM339
Depending on how complicated your environment is, you might want to do a fresh installation and deployment instead. Or hire a consultant Smile
Re: Weblogic migration [message #687595 is a reply to message #687594] Mon, 10 April 2023 13:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
madurani
Thank you very much for your response. Problem is, that application team usually stays passive and waits during migration. They expect that everything will be all the same on the new servers as it was on old servers , without their cooperation . We are responsible for os part and can't have deep knowledge about all applications.
Re: Weblogic migration [message #687596 is a reply to message #687595] Tue, 11 April 2023 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John Watson
I have pointed you to two solutions already: the supported techniques for moving a machine from OVM to KVM, and for cloning a Middleware installation. If you don't want to try them, I don't think I can do any more. Perhaps someone else can assist.
Re: Weblogic migration [message #687597 is a reply to message #687596] Tue, 11 April 2023 01:50 Go to previous message
madurani
thank you again. Fist kind of migration is more suitable for me as OS responsible person .
I think, that this topic can be closed now (but I don't know how Smile ).
Previous Topic: Integration Weblogic 11g wih Active directory on Windows 2022
Next Topic: War file start failed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:14:05 CDT 2024